Doors are available in multiple designs and styles depending on the type of requirements. While some are made up of hardwood, steel, etc., the others are hollow doors. Both solid and hollow doors have different applications as the first one offers the best security while the latter is used in internal parts of the place.
Repairing a damaged door has multiple implications especially when you’re dealing with a hollow door. The major issue with the hollow door is that there is nothing at the back of the door that provides support to prevent the consequent cracking of the patch.
Secondly, a variety of hollow doors have textures moulded to look alike solid doors. Any patchwork or repair work on such doors creates issues of uniform texture. Taking all these points into consideration, let us start with a quick guide to fix a crack in a hollow door by you.
Materials and tools required to fix a cracked hollow door:
- Primer and paint
- Chip brush preferably disposable and rags
- Masking tape
- Solvent to remove epoxy resin drops
- Modeling clay or putty to eliminate the silicone leakage
- Acrylic or polyester resin
- Epoxy or polyester putty
- Silicone rubber preferably room-temperature-vulcanized (RTV)
- Insulating foam sealant
Steps to fix a cracked hollow door:
The step-by-step process to repair your damaged hollow door is:
- Collect all the materials required in the process.
- Once you’re ready with the stuff, start by filling the hollow void using the insulating foam sealant. It fills the void between the door panels and may require drilling of holes in the door for proper insertion.
- The extra foam will come out of the holes. You can clean it up and mask the other parts of the door to prevent issues with this extra foam.
- After the curing of the insulating foam, you can start trimming it. You can sand the area for a perfect surface.
- You have to level the area using epoxy filler materials. You may go for one to three layers for a smooth finish.
- If the cracked hollow door has a texture, you have to prepare a texture mold. You can do it by creating a small frame from the correct wood and using it over the patch area. This mold has a negative relief from the textured hollow door that is our requirement.
- Using the silicone texture and pressing it on the patch surface properly, you can recreate the texture over the patch area.
- Finish by applying primer and then paint on the repaired area.
Fixing a cracked hollow door: Quick tips:
- It is best to lay the cracked hollow door down or use sawhorses to manage it before starting the filling process.
- The foam prevents the cracked hollow door from flexing during the repair process. Thus, you don’t have to worry about the other damages.
- You may have to apply multiple layers of the epoxy filler depending on the depth of the hole.
- The silicone texture mold used can be saved as a template for repairing multiple cracked hollow doors that have some texture.
- Use disposable rags to wipe out the excess epoxy resin during the recreation of texture on the patch.
Managing the cracked hollow door is never easy as this before. All you need are some creative materials that work well with a hollow door and a free afternoon. Don’t forget to go through the quick tips that help to understand the cracked hollow door and its specific requirements.