Staying prepared for any medical emergency is more than a necessity nowadays. Thus, whether you’re travelling or in your office, there is a mandatory medicine bag or pouch that can be carried at all times. This medicine bag covers all the major first-aid drugs and other medical supplies along with other requirements. Many times people feel overwhelmed in making a medicine bag or pouch for their requirements and end up buying big kits.
While the most confusing part is to select the main components of the bag, many times you may end up making it too heavy to carry. Nothing matches the power of the traditional medicine bags or pouches that were handmade. So, today let us help you to make your medicine bag or pouch from the scratch.
Traditional medicine bags:
Carrying medicine bags or pouches has been an age-old tradition. These are made up of leather, feathers, etc. Thus, you can start by collecting the materials like supple scrap leather. The additional tool requirements are cardboard, scissors, a ruler, pen, markers, glue, strings, feathers, etc.
The simple steps to create a medicine bag or pouch at home are:
- Start by making a template from the cardboard. You can draw a 5-1/2 inches*7-1/2 inches rectangle on the cardboard and can cut it.
- The next step is to create holes for lacing and punching the feathers or strings. You can measure the six drawstring holes of 5/8 inches from the top of the template. You can mark different points on the cardboard and can start making the holes with a small nail or large needle.
- To start with the leather pieces, start marking your template with a front and back. You can here add a flap or go for the pouch without a flap.
- You can trace your template on the leather piece and start making holes in the pieces. You may flip your template to make cleaner holes. This is for a pouch without a flap.
For the pouch with a flap, you can use the natural leather flap. You can select the rough-looking corner of the leather, use your template to mark, it and then start using the other leather pieces. Align all holes perfectly like the one with no flap.
- You can cut the leather pieces without punching the holes yet.
- You can start by putting the pieces together without using glue.
- Once it is perfect, you can start by running a thin bead of glue to all the edges avoiding the top to keep it open.
- The fancy leather part should be placed at the front after pasting the back piece. You can use the binder clips to keep the leather pieces together until the glue dries properly. You can eliminate any extra glue at this point to avoid any patches.
- You can start punching the holes once the leather pieces are dry. Make sure to check the flap of your medicine bag.
- You can bring in the beads and laces and tie them to the holes to get a perfect looking medicine bag or pouch for your requirements.
Making your medicine bag or pouch with leather and simple components is easy and full of fun. All you need is a free afternoon on any weekend and you can implement your creativity skills to make some good-looking traditional medicine bags or pouches at home only. All you need to do is be careful while working with the equipment like scissors and manage the glue and hole punching effectively without hurting the lather pieces.